This project is to Extend the Maze by clearing out the invasive blackberry bushes, brush and dead wood & developing trails in the Canopy Area. On Day 0 (11/4), I went to mark the area, inspect/count the tools & gloves, identify the saplings, and ensure that we were ready to start. On day 1, I led a team of volunteers to clear out an extensive, dense area of blackberry bushes with thorns that led to the shore of Tyson lagoon. As we cleared up the path, we uncovered opportunities to create two additional trails to complete the maze. On Day 2, we marked out where the trails would go in and come out of the brush to connect with the main trail. I also led the team to clear out 2/3rd of the trail, dead wood, overhanging trees and we hauled out logs and debris. By end of session 3, trail 1 and 2 were completed. We removed an old steel post on the path so patrons could have a clear walkway. During session 4, we opened up the pathway to the main trails by cutting/clearing dead blackberry bushes. We planted 3 Willow saplings and used the logs to define and mark the trails. Ultimately, we had opened up the pathway in order to create a trail to Tyson lagoon and we had created 3 trails to complete the maze in the canopy area.
I gathered the help of my troop, crew and school mates, my friends and
family for this project and we completed the project in 4 sessions,
spending 4 hours per session over a period of 2 days.