4 week unit
1. Students should begin wondering
and predicting how the Universe may have evolved.
2. Students should know the
difference between astrology and astronomy.
3. Students should be able to
classify and describe the components of the Universe.
4. Students should recognize that
the Sun is made of layers and generates radiation.
5. Students should be able to
describe the planets and some of their moons.
6. Students should be able to
compare the terrestrial with the gaseous planets.
7. Students should understand the
orbits of the planets.
8. Students should be able to
compare the difference of weight on the different planets.
9. Students should be able to
compare the motion and attraction of the Sun, Earth, and Moon.
10. Students should know why we
have different seasons.
11. Students should be able to
integrate facts in literature.
12. Students should be familiar
with using a topographic map.
13. Students should begin visualizing three
dimensional objects from two dimensional.
OVERVIEW OF SIXTH GRADE
PRE: Exploring how the
Universe may have evolved.
LAB: Comparing the night sky with zodiac signs.
POST: Comparing the different components of the Universe.
PRE: Exploring the structure
of our Sun.
LAB: Calculating the weight of objects on different planets.
POST: Exploring astronomical themes in songs.
PRE: Comparing the motion of the Sun, Earth, and Moon.
LAB: Discovering how the tilt of the axis causes the seasons.
POST: Analyzing literature with descriptions about Earth.
PRE: Discovering uses for
LAB: Exploring military strategies using a map.
POST: Creating a three dimensional landscape.
to Universe Cycle Grid]