4 week unit
1. Students should question if a mountain is a
volcano now, or if it has ever been one.
2. Volcanoes produce different types of rocks.
3. Earthquakes cause the Earth to
4. The crust of the Earth moves
very slowly, but when it moves it creates earthquakes.
5. Plates are part of the Earth's crust (both on
land and water) that move together.
6. Children should be able to think of possible
precautions and action that should be taken during an earthquake.
7. Children should be aware of any possible
dangers that can result during an earthquake both at home and at school.
OVERVIEW OF KINDERGARTEN
PRE: Learning that all mountains are not volcanoes.
LAB: Investigating rocks that come from volcanoes.
POST: Discovering how volcanoes grow.
PRE: Learning that earthquakes cause the Earth to shake.
LAB: Discovering that earthquakes cause different types
POST: Dramatizing different types of earthquake intensities.
PRE: Learning that the crust
of the Earth moves.
LAB: Analyzing a puzzle of the Earth.
POST: Learning that the boundaries of plates.
PRE: Learning to critically
think during an earthquake.
LAB: Analyzing the sounds created by an earthquake.
POST: Learning about dangers in the classroom.
to Plate Tectonics Grid]