4 week unit
1. Students should be able to describe the flow of
lava from a volcano.
2. Students should be able to describe the shapes
and parts of volcanoes.
3. Students should be able to relate that energy
is released when an earthquakes occurs.
4. Students should be able to demonstrate what
5. Students should be able to compare the shaking
that occurs during a weak, moderate, and strong earthquake.
6. Students should be able to describe the hazards
caused by volcanoes.
OVERVIEW OF FIRST GRADE
PRE: Learning the shapes of
LAB: Experimenting with "lava."
POST: Comparing parts of an erupting volcano.
PRE: Demonstrating how energy
can be released from an earthquake.
LAB: Simulating how an earthquake shakes an area.
POST: Learning about what happens when the earth shakes.
PRE: Learning about stress
within the Earth's crust.
LAB: Demonstrating features caused by stress.
POST: Comparing the shapes of South America and Africa.
hazards caused by volcanoes.
LAB: Plotting different volcanoes in the west coast.
POST: Learning more about Mt. Shasta in California.
to Plate Tectonics Grid]