Electricity is used in our houses in
many ways. We can use it for cooking, cleaning, cooling, freezing,
heating, lighting, and entertaining. It helps make living and working
around the home, school, or at work easy, safe, and fun. Electricity
must be used properly, because it is also very powerful and can cause
injury or fire. We use electricity so much in urban area, that we
sometimes forget it is there.
Students need to know that wires are
not safe without insulation around the wires. Wires are insulated
because they become hot and the coating prevents any fires from
Improper wiring can sometimes show
warning signs like light will dim or flicker; motors change speed when
an appliances goes on; circuit breakers trip or fuses blow frequently;
heat-producing appliances are slow to warm; picture on the TV screen
"shrinks": and you donít have enough outlets for all the
appliances that need electricity.
There are also many other dangers that can prevent
the flow of electricity to the city. Large trees under utility
poles can cause a disruption when a branch comes in contact with the electrical
Many times your local utility company
may have informational brochures which can help you teach this lesson
for your particular area.
- Read "Night without Light," a story about
a disruption of electricity due to a large tree.
- Ask students if anyone has experienced such a "black
out," due to a tree, lightning, car accident, or any other
event that might make the light go out.
- Use the worksheet and have students decide whether or not the situation shown is safe or not. Fill in the
blanks on the chart
- If the child puts a tool into the socket,
they will get 110 volts through their body. It is enough to kill
- This is not immediately dangerous, but if
there is a spark or a hot wire, the kit might burn causing problems.
Never climb an electric pole. Call the utility company and they will
inform you what to do.
- If all the wiring is enclosed, nothing should
happen. However, a broken wire could cause a shock.
- A broken wire is very dangerous. It can cause
sparks which can cause a fire.