Built in the 1830's on the
Rancho Arroyo de la Alameda that was governed by Jose
de Jesus Vallejo was the elder brother of General
Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. This adobe was used to house some of the
workers in his flour mill which was on Alameda Creek.
It was renovated in 1930's by George C. Roeding Jr. who
used it as a way to make customers relax with tea, as
they purchased their nursery products.
||California Nursery Office
Built in 1907,
remodeled in 1940
The business in the early 1900's
expanded and after the 1906 earthquake many of the
buildings were damaged. William Landers had this
nursery office as they expanded to other parts of the
state including Sacramento and Los Angeles. It is
now the site of the CalNurCo archives and we hope to
make it available as a history museum.
Built in 1907 as an office/home
for owner William Landers who lived in San Francisco.
We suspect that it was designed by Bernard Maybeck
because of the design and look of the Arts and Craft
movement in California architecture. Detailed
summary from Maybeck's daughter reveals it may be a
quick project he did after the 1906 San Francisco
Earthquake. We are hoping to have this turn into an
archival storage area..
||The Garden Store
The introduction of retail sales
at the California Nursery in the 1920s, and the overall
shift in business from wholesale to retail in 1927
brought with it the need for new retail facilities.
In 1933 the new store was introduced
1890 it still has original wood. Tracks from when
they would move products to horse carriage are still
intact inside. Tin roof was replaced in the
1950's. Was used to storage products before they
would go to market.
||Ladies Changing Room
This building was built
around 1910 and was used during the annual Bulb Show for
girls to change into their Dutch and Mexican costumes. The Bulb
Show attracted people from throughout the San Francisco area
from the 1930s through the early 1960s, with as many as 5000
attending on weekends from mid-March to mid-April.
is what remains of a support for a gravity flow
auxiliary holding tank, part of a distribution system used for
watering container plants. This system was replaced with pumps
when they became available in the 1940s. The wooden foundation
remains and is covered
with a white Lady Banks rose